Thursday 6 December 2012

What Barbie and I have in common... Peplum!

Peplum is back! It has been around for the past few now, and although its a funny little word I think its really chic.



When I first saw it back on the runways all I could think of was my old ragged Barbie. Growing up in the 90s, I had quite a few Barbie dolls and my favourite thing to do with them was to dress them up.


Back then, peplum was a very popular pattern. I remember skimming though a catalogue of Barbie's dresses and all of them having that little frill around the waist.  



It is funny for old trends keep popping back every now and again. However, the key thing to remember about fashion is that you must wear something that you are comfortable with and suits your body. Peplum is perfect for anyone with an hourglass or apple (cornet) shaped figure. However, if you have a pear figure, it might be best to try and avoid this style as the frill divides the body into two halves and can draw more attention to the half below it. It works well with an hourglass or apple figure because it accentuates the waist. If you have a tiny waist,  show it off!




Although I know this in theory, this is not why I went peplum crazy last month. My reason to shop was purely out of herd mentality! I saw a ton of people wearing it at work and was temped enough to go buy two tops in a span of 15 minutes. A bit much you think? Well clearly not for me.




As you can see this Topshop burgundy top is my favourite and hence is mentioned first. Although it doesn't have any print on it, the colour is enough to make the top stand out. It fits perfectly and with a little bit of accessorizing can look really classic.







Top: Topshop- Link


Jeans: Topshop Petite- Link
Necklace: Forever21
Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs Classic Q Lil Ukita
Shoes: Zara



Black is my favourite colour. I also think that black makes anything look chic and classic. This black lace peplum top believe it or not is from Primark! Yes, its true. I went in to buy a pair of tights and came out with this top! It has a black lining in the front and is sheer behind. Although wearing it as it is not really my style, it would probably be more appropriate on a night out.








I wear this top to work and hence a sheer lace back look is not an ideal for me. I wear a black slip inside to cover my back; no pun intended!










Jeans: Topshop Petite- Link
Necklace: H&M head band worn as necklace
Bag: H&M- Link
Shoes: Zara




All in all I think peplum is a fun trend however, I'm afraid it will fade. I don't expect to see peplum for very long on the runways although I would love to see it stay on for a couple of more seasons at least before I'm ready to dive into another another blast from the past.... 90s neons in Spring 2013 anyone?






PS: Here's a little flash back of the 90s Barbie for those of you who don't remember this or weren't born yet then to know it.*










All Barbie images taken from the internet*

3 comments:

  1. Ahahah Damn, I miss Barbie! xD
    You look great in both looks, really feminine and chic. :) And your hair is gorgeous!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
    Feel free to follow too!

    xx, Tatiana
    http://popcornstone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good peplum! :)

    http://livedwithlove.com

    Kerry X

    ReplyDelete